Tuesday, August 4, 2009

OKRAhoma!

I'll admit the title is not my best, but can't you just imagine me singing this in the kitchen while I work? "Oh OKRAhoma, where the okras get fried up in a pan..."

Lagniappe trivia: Okra is also called gumbo. This is where gumbo, the stew, gets its name. Try asking for that at the grocery store!


Andouille and Fried Okra

Ingredients: (okay get a pen, this is hard to remember)
1 lb andouille sausage
1 lb okra
1 Tbsp olive oil or crisco
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
3 tsp cajun seasoning (Slap Ya Momma HOT)

Cut the andouille into 1/4"-1/2" slices.
The okra gets cut into 1/2" pieces.



Add the oil or crisco in a large skillet and saute the sausage for about 7 minutes on medium-high heat.

Remove the sausage, but leave the grease. You could also dump out the fat and add another Tbsp or two of olive oil. Just remember that the grease makes it tastier. Saute the okra for another 5-6 minutes, stirring or flipping in the skillet as it cooks. If you do it like I do, the dog gets a taste.

Now sprinkle in the bread crumbs and seasoning.

Add back in the sausage and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Serve with a long grain rice and ice cold beer. I think I've got a new Monday night favorite. Look out red beans and rice!


No comments:

Post a Comment